Aim: To reduced loneliness and social isolation for older people living in Axminster and the surrounding villages. How we do this:
- Recruit, train and support a team of volunteer visitors. There are currently 14 active volunteers(2014)
- Receive referrals from Health and Social Care agencies, families and friends.
- Raise awareness about the harmful effects of loneliness for older people
What we do:
- Visit people in their own homes or in residential care on a one to one basis to enjoy social contact. Visits are weekly and last about an hour.
- Run Reminiscence Groups in Care Homes in Axminster and surrounding area. We have a small library of themed boxes. Groups have between 4 and 10 members and meet weekly for about an hour.
- Raise Awareness. This year we hosted Older Persons Fun Day at Axminster Guildhall. A day of actives led by local voluntary organisations to showcase and increase participation by older people.
- Become a Volunteer Visitor
- Become a reminiscence group facilitator
- All volunteers receive training, an enhanced DBS check, ongoing support and supervision.
Project Coordinator is Gill Amos Usual working days Monday and Tuesday 01404 549045 email@example.com Supported by Axminster Hospital League of Friends and EDVSA